- chicken drumsticks: 8
- salt:1 tsp
- black pepper: 3/4 tsp(freshly ground)
- yellow bean sauce: 1 tbsp
- soy sauce: 2 tbsp
- chilli sauce: 1 tbsp
- sugar: 1 tbsp
- root ginger: 3 slices (shredded)
- garlic cloves: 3 (peeled and crushed)
- spring onions: 3 (chopped)
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- fresh coriander for garnish
1. Rub the drumsticks with the salt and pepper. Place them in a heat-proof basin. Mix the sauces with the sugar and pour over drumsticks.Finally , sprinkle and rub them with the ginger , garlic and spring onion. Leave to marinate for a couple of hours.
2. Place the basin with drumsticks in a steamer or a large saucepan with boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the basin. Steam fro 10 minutes. Cover the top of the basin with a piece of kitchen foil and steam for a 30 minutes.
3. Allow to cool slightly, then place the drumsticks in a wire basket and lower them into the hot oil to deep fry for 7-8 minutes or until the outside is crispy.
4. Serve garnished with fresh coriander as a starter or as a finger food.
Crispy Skin Peppered Chicken
This dish is spicy and crispy, yet yellowish in color.
Preparation time:20 minutes,plus marinating over night.
Cooking time : 1 1/2 hours
- roasting chicken:1.5 kg
- black pepper: 3/4 tsp (freshly ground)
- root ginger: 3 slices (finely chopped)
- soy sauce: 1 tbsp
- celery leaves to garnish
1. Wash and dry the chicken thoroughly inside and out. Mix the salt and black pepper in a small, very dry saucepan. Turn and stir them over a low heat for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until the mixture gives of f a distinct peppery aroma. Remove from the heat and allow to cool, then rub the bird all over with the mixture.Reserve the excess.
2. Leave the chicken to marinate for a couple of hours.
3. Mix the ginger with the soy sauce until well blended, then rub all over the chicken. Leave the chicken to marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
4. Rub the chicken all over once more with the remaining salt and pepper mixture. Leave to stand for a further 2-3 hours.
5. Place the chicken on a rack in roasting pan and cook in a preheated, moderately hot oven for 30 minutes. Reduce the heat to moderate and roast for a further hour. Serve garnished with celery leaves.